Sunday, July 24, 2011

Goodbye Tarnow!

School has ended, and now my last days in Tarnow have as well! It was an exciting, busy weekend! On Friday night, David and I met two of our students at the speedway. Tarnow is famous for its motor-bike racing team, and we watched them defeat a team from Częstochowa by a big margin. The atmosphere reminded me of my high-school football games, and there were lots of loud, raucous fans crowded into the tiny stadium. (The sport is similar to NASCAR, except the track is much shorter and there are only 4 bikes racing at a time.)

After the race, I was happy to join the party that Mikolaj was hosting at our house. I've met most of his friends before, and they were all very happy to see me! I'm really lucky to have host brothers who the same age as me, because I'm able to meet a lot more Polish high schoolers and college students. We grilled a lot of food and I talked with lots of people! It was a great way to begin the weekend.

On Saturday we went to a ropes course, which was quite an exhilirating experience! Afterwards, we saw the ruins of an old castle on the top of a hill overlooking Tarnow. We got a great view of the town! Since Bartek and Mikolaj stayed up super late the night before, it was just me, Kuba, and Pan/Pani Pisarski. The weather was beautiful and we had a great time!

When I got home, I realized my final hours in the house were dwindling, so it was the time to perform the "lasts"...the last chess game, the last family picture, the last supper (with the last amazing kielbasa and salami!), etc. etc. It was a bittersweet evening, and I saved my packing for the late hours of the night.

Sunday morning came, and it was time to say goodbye! I gave my family a small parting gift, which I'm sure can never adequately compensate them for their generous hospitality. Nothing I can say or do can really show how much I appreciate what they have done for me over the past 4 weeks! I can only hope that they visit the States soon, so that it'll be my chance to reciprocate hospitality! Farewell Tarnow! Farewell Pan, Pani, Mikolaj, Bartek and Kuba...for now!